Please Donate & Support Wonders of Aviation
Wonders of Aviation needs your support to change lives and leave a lasting legacy through education. Donations will be utilized to meet
WOA’s needs in both the United States and South Africa. Donations made on the US site will qualify for a US tax deduction.
Donors who want to qualify for a South African tax deduction, please contact Vees Lochan WOA SA Treasurer: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Strange is our situation here upon earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to a divine purpose. From the standpoint of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know: that we are here for the sake of other men — above all for those upon whose smile and well-being our own happiness depends, for the countless unknown souls with whose fate we are connected by a bond of sympathy. Many times a day, I realize how much my outer and inner life is built upon the labors of people, both living and dead, and how earnestly I must exert myself in order to give in return as much as I have received and am still receiving.
Albert Einstein, Noble Prize winner for Physics and global icon
- Air traffic management training, including a tour of the OR Tambo International airport's control tower.
- Pilot training, including time on an Airbus and Boeing simulator.
- Academic training, including a tour of Wits Universities supersonic labs.
- General Aviation training, including flight time in a GA aircraft (20 hours).
- Aircraft design training, including a tour of CSI’s wind tunnels.
- Critical thinking training, using the Book Share program.
- Life skills training such as, budgeting, writing, critical thinking, project planning and execution. Topics include:
- Corporate culture
- Exploring aviation careers
- Personal budgeting
- Critical Thinking
- Airline Economics 101
- Aviation Regulation 101
- Aero Dynamics 101
- Project Management 101
- Designing and executing outreach events that involve Winners and Mentors
Social Equity Activities
- Participating in industry outreach activities and acquiring resumes on youngsters who want a career in aviation.
- Working with Unity Secondary School to create an aviation program.
- Learning how to plan and execute an outreach program.
- Mentoring individuals with less experience.
Leadership Training and Team Building Activities
- Day spent learning the safety protocol of preparing a glider for flight and then flying a glider.
- Day spent welcoming the next year’s Award Winners, presenting individual awards for exceptional performance during the prior year, participating in the joint Aero Club and Wonders of Aviation Award Dinner.
- Innovation training, including a day at GE’s Center of Innovation learning GE’s method of creating teams to solve problems.
Sharing Best Practices
- Evaluating past year’s performance based on pre agreed metrics.
- Sharing knowledge of the results of that performance review.
- Preparing material, as required, to help increase the use of the best practices.
All these activities require the help of mentors, please identify how you would like to be involved by reference to these activities.
Donate & Become Involved
Wonders of Aviation SA & USA (WOA SA&USA) relies on volunteers to do everything, including helping to organise participation in events, providing transportation to and from those events, mentoring Aviation Award recipients, and helping educate the Aviation Award recipients.
If you would like to volunteer in the USA, please contact:
Don Proctor Schenk - WOA USA Chairperson
t: (212) 808 4420
c: (646) 248 3461
If you would like to volunteer in South Africa, please contact:
Dy Moonsammy - WOA SA Chairperson
c: +27 082 776 6137
If you would like to become a Volunteer, Role Model or Mentor, please contact:
Don Proctor Schenk - WOA USA Chairperson
Wonders of Aviation SA (WOA SA) receives generous support from almost two dozen institutions from around the world.
The supporting institutions provide a contribution to events, such as touring the Air Traffic Control Tower at OR Tambo International Airport, and experiencing the thrill of flying a commercial aircraft flight simulator. These events are both fun and educational as the Aviation Award recipients learn how technology makes modern air transportation both safe and affordable.
Since most Aviation Award recipients in South Africa come from families of very constrained financial circumstances, we rely on in-kind and financial assistance to cover the cost of our educational and training programs.
Join the WOA SA Book Share Programme and contribute a book.
If you would like to order a book online to donate, please contact
Juanita Labuschagne e: email@example.com
If you would like to donate a book or borrow a book, please contact
Buhle Dlodlo e: firstname.lastname@example.org